Sabado, Nobyembre 7, 2009

Valakut Control - tourney report

premise: i'm a full time dad. so no play test prior to toruney.
i play once a month, depends on my wife.
the deck should be better if i'm not the pilot.
13x mountains
3x forest
4x terramorphic expance
4x valakut
24 lands
4 harrow
4 rampant growth
4 expedition map
4 Khalni Heart Expedition
4 lightning bolt
4 burst lightning
3 lavaball trap
3 volcanic fallout
2 chandra nalaar
2 pyroclasm
2earthquake
36 spells
i played this deck last wednesday on philcoa, and it ran fine. it was a deck they did not expect.
round 1 was against vamps.
he took game 1, he got 3 bloodghast on the board. i manage to sweep it but, alas a land dropped. GG for me.
2nd game, i got an early online valakut, with khalni and few more mountains, he lost this game.
3rd game, i got an early valakut, but he manages to mindsludge me, and finished me with his malakir.
1-2, 0-1
round 2 was a control deck.
he just was not ready for my deck, i think the suprise got him to loose.
early valakut, with khalni, +chandra for his banslayer. it was total control for valakut.
2-0, 1-1
round 3 was also control
this deck has denial, DoJ's, some wall and some counterspell, and some removals,
but i had no creature, so his removals was dead cards. early khalni and more than 2 valakut in play sealed the game.
2-0, 2-1
round 4 was white wheeni deck.
he played with 2 lands in hand. fortunately i had my lavaball trap.
got early valakut, and khalni, but valakut still wont be online till few more mountains. i had to crack my khalni for the hardcast lavaball. and i did manage to hardcast it, destroyed his 2 plains, fortunately he had brave the elements to protect his creatures. but i still have removals on my hand. after casting my removals, he scooped. BTW im already down to 7 lives at that point.
game 2 he managed to counter my harrow, slowing me down. then beat me.
game 3 i manage to pull early valakut, removal, then khalni. win for me
2-1, 3-1
round 5 was with a control
i had many misplays here, and i learned a lot here.
1. cast instants one by one, as to not be countered by double negative (i've done this twice in this game, double lightning bolt,)
2. with heavy counter deck, remove harrow. side in all creatures.
3. think for answer to a sphinx (5/5 shroud)
4. dont play withour a forest.
5. play smart, and always play like your winning.
the community is good, but the prize structure is not that good compared to my hometown FNM(dasma)
entrance fee 150php, we had i think 22 players, i placed 8th but the prize was cut at 6th, 3 - 2 - 1 - 1 -1 -1. edit infairness they run 16k. not bad for a 150 entrance
before this tourney i already used the valakut control but it only had one chandra, no lavaball.
i played it in dasma i went 1 - 3 with it.
most of my matchups was aggro (3 losses - RDW, big green, another-i-forgot-aggro deck), the win is from a control deck. with my chandra always appearing on the board.
thinking of adding one more chandra on the main(remove earthquake to the side) and another lavaball trap on the side.
#note: early khalni drops will increase the chance you win. you could actully hardcast lavaball trap with khalni turn 5
SB is my tech

Walang komento: